Monday, May 2, 2016

DIY: Foaming Handsoap

If you are anything like me you take pride in anything you can make yourself! As a frequent essential oil user who likes to use her oils for everything and anything I am continually finding new ways to get every penny out of my oils. 

For those who know: I am a doTERRA Wellness Advocate, but as I tell all of my customers and " Oil Students" I am brutally honest about the products I sell. Some I love, some I don't, some I know I can make myself.


doTERRA has a wonderful line of  onGuard products which help fight off the ickies. One of those products is a hand-soap. I personally love the hand-soap, but I think it is pricey and I know I could make a version of it, much much cheaper. So I did and this is how, along with a price breakdown, just for you!

DIY: Foaming Hand-soap


What you need:

  • 2 tbsp Dr. Bronners Castile Soap
  • 1 tsp Aloe Vera Juice (this is optional, but helps moisturize!)
  • Distilled or boiled water - enough to fill your soap pump
  • Essential Oil of your choice
  • A foaming hand-soap dispenser.





How To:

  •  If using boiled water, boil and let cool. Refrain from touching water with finger or utensil.
  •  Pour water into hand soap container, leaving about 1.5 inch room at the top.
  •  Pour in Castile Soap
  •  Pour in Aloe Vera (optional)
  •  Add 5 drops of your choice essential oil. I recommend OnGuard, Lemon, Melaeuca, Peppermint or Lavender. Feel free to mix more than one oil. 
  •  Put lid on dispenser, give it a shake to mix ingredients.





Cost Breakdown:

16 oz Bronners Castile Soap $12.99 = 32 Tablespoons per bottle, recipe calls for 2 tbsp = .81 per bottle.

1 tsp Aloe Vera Juice $7.99 = 96 Teaspoons per bottle, recipe calls for 1 tsp- .08 per bottle

Essential Oil OnGuard ( at wholesale membership pricing) ( price will vary with different oils) $32.00= 250 drops per bottle, recipe calls for 5 drops = .64

Total:$1.53
Compare with doTERRA hand-soap: $9.25

The above cost reflects one bottle of homemade, all natural hand-soap using CPTG oils from doTERRA. Cost may differ if you have to buy a hand-soap dispenser ( I reuse mine). You can also bring cost down by using a different essential oil that is cheaper: Ex: Lemon, Lavender, Peppermint. Another method to keep costs down is to boil your own water vs. buying distilled.



For those interested in OnGuard essential oil you can buy yours here.










No comments:

Post a Comment