Saturday, May 28, 2016

Hysterosalpingogram... or HSG

A hystero.. hysta... hysterosal.. a HSG.

Technically speaking a hysterosalpingogram (even my spell check doesn't register that as a word) or HSG is an x-ray procedure used to see whether the fallopian tubes are patent (open) and if the inside of the uterus (uterine cavity) is normal. HSG is an outpatient procedure that usually takes less than 5 minutes to perform.




Now, if you have read my past posts about infertility, you may realize that I want to be honest with my readers, but most importantly I want to share my story, with those who may be going through something similar. 

When I found out I was going to have a HSG, I naturally turned to the internet to find out everything I possibly could. I found some, but not many personal experiences. Nothing that detailed everything that went on. Due to this, I want to be able to share those personal details, with well, whoever the heck reads my blog. 

So, this is your official warning. The below will be true accounts of my experience going through a HSG. I will be using words such as vagina, speculum, lubrication. If that bothers you - I advise you skip this post. Also, please be gentle. This isn't something I sit around talking to my girlfriends about. It is a intimate topic and I am going to be completely real with the details.



Why a HSG?

When trying to determine the cause of infertility, and before starting infertility drug treatments it is common to have a lot of tests done to make sure that the mechanics for having a baby are there and that all looks well. Due to the fact that last year I had a very invasive abdominal surgery, that caused a lot of complications and infections, my OBGYN choose to have a HSG done in order to make sure there was no scar tissue, and that my fallopian tubes were clear.

What is a HSG?

Without going into the science, a HSG is a procedure where a medical professional inserts dye very quickly through your vagina to ensure that the falopians tubes are nice and clear. The procedure it self only takes a few minutes, but there is quite a bit of prep work.

Side effects?

Thankfully for me, I had very little side effects. I did take a Tylenol 500 mg prior to the procedure, and after the procedure I only had light discharge ( I blame the lube that they used) and slight cramping, that really wasn't that bad. Although I did not experience any heavy side effects, depending on your situation, some women do have heavy cramping. I was told by the nurse after the procedure to take another Tylenol if this were to happen.

The Rundown 


According to my OBGYN it is best to have the HSG done between the 5-8 day of a woman's cycle. Lucky for me, when we decided I would do the HSG, I was on day 7. I was told to arrive the next day at radiology. There were no restrictions on food or water. 

When I arrived the next day at Radiology, I was admitted with a hospital band, and shown to a waiting room. After what seemed like eternity but realistically was 5 minutes, a nurse and two students came to get me. 

We walked into the procedure room where there was a large machine, a table and honestly not much else. Connected to the room was a bathroom where I was told to change out of my clothes into a very trendy hospital gown.

When I came out, I was told to sit on the surgical looking table and wait for the radiologist. Remember, in my experience I had a nurse, two students and a radiologist so the room was filled. Thankfully everyone was very nice and when the radiologist finally came he explained the procedure. 

The radiologist had me lay back on the surgical table, with my feet in the stirrups just as if you were preparing for a exam or pap smear.  There was a large machine over my abdomen that almost seemed like a XRAY machine. To the side of me was a television screen that showed the inside of my uterus. It was very neat to see. I was able to watch the whole procedure.


The procedure started with the radiologist  inserting a lubricated speculum into my vagina. Once again, just as you would with a pap smear. The radiologist then explained he would insert a catheter. This did not hurt, just slightly pinched. Next, he told me he was going to flush and clean with some sterile water. Once again, the sensation wasn't painful just uncomfortable.

Then it was time for the main show, the dye to shoot through my Fallopian tubes. This is where everyone's experience will differ in terms of pain. The general consensus is that if you have a blockage somewhere , this part of the procedure may hurt. If you do not have blockage, it should be relatively painless. However, this also depends on your pain tolerance as there have been women who have had no blockage but have felt pain.  I, thankfully, had very little pain, and was surprised when it was over. Thanks be to God, I found out on the spot that my Fallopian tubes seemed to be clear and working just fine.

After this part of the procedure, the radiologist took out the catheter, and said he was finished. During the whole procedure the nurse and two students simply stood by to watch, and hand the radiologist tools. After the procedure, everyone left the room and they allowed me to clean up and get dressed in private.


I was told that after the procedure there may be some discharge and a little bit of blood and that I should wear a pad. Indeed, there was quite a bit of discharge but no blood. Knowing that I have a low pain tolerance, I went ahead and took a second Tylenol when I got home. I took it easy for the rest of the day, but didn't necessarily have to as I felt fine.

My OBGYN called me the next day to reiterate the results, that everything was fine and we could proceed to our next step.

I hope that my detailed experience may help someone who is going into a HSG blindly not knowing what to expect. If you have any questions, please feel free to leave them below. 

Pax Et Bonum



No comments:

Post a Comment