Saturday, May 21, 2016

Month of Mary: The Marylike Standards for Modesty in Dress



This year, during the month of May, my intentions for my spiritual life is grow closer to the blessed Mary. My intentions for my blog is to honor Mary by sharing different prayers, devotions and how to be " Mary- like".I hope that you join me in honoring the Holy Mother of God.



The Mary-like Standards For Modesty In Dress

The below standards are ones that I choose to follow, and feel convicted to incorporate into my daily life. It is possible as a young 20 something female, who is surrounded by the media to dress attractively yet fit the below standards. By no means was this a overnight process, yet a learning experience over the course of a few years. I still, to this day fail in one way or another, but most importantly I am putting these standards as a priority, and making an effort. 

1. Mary-like is modest without compromise, "like Mary,” Christ's Mother.

2. Mary-like dresses have sleeves extending at least to the elbows and skirts reaching below the knees. [When a woman sits down her knees should still be well covered]. (Note: because of impossible market conditions quarter-length sleeves are temporarily tolerated with Ecclesiastical Approval, until Christian womanhood again turns to Mary as the model of modesty in dress.)

3. Mary-like dress require full coverage for the bodice, chest, shoulders, and back; except for a cut-out about the neck not exceeding two inches below the neckline in front and in back, and a corresponding two inches on the shoulders.

4. Mary-like dresses do not admit as modest coverage transparent fabrics — laces, nets, organdy, nylons, etc. — unless sufficient backing is added. However, their moderate use as trimmings is acceptable.

5. Mary-like dresses avoid the improper use of flesh-colored fabrics.

6. Mary-like dresses conceal rather than reveal the figure of the wearer; they do not emphasize, unduly, parts of the body.


7. Mary-like dresses provide full coverage even after jacket, cape or stole are removed. — (Full, loose fitting culottes reaching below the knees have been suggested by some as acceptable for picnics, hikes, sports, and certain kinds of work.) [4]



Act of Consecration

to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for Purity

O Immaculate Heart of Mary, Virgin Most Pure, mindful of the terrible moral dangers threatening on all sides, and aware of my own human weakness, I voluntarily place myself, body and soul, this day and always, under thy loving maternal care and protection.

I consecrate to thee my body, with all its members, asking thee to help me never to use it as an occasion of sin to others. Help me to remember that my body is the "Temple of the Holy Ghost," and to use it according to God's Holy Will for my own personal salvation, and the salvation of others.

I consecrate to thee my soul, asking thee to watch over it, and to bring it home safe to thee and to Jesus in Heaven for all eternity.

O Mary, my Mother, all that I am, all that I have is thine. Keep me and guard me under thy mantle of mercy, as thy personal property and possession.

Jesus, Mary, Joseph, I love Thee; save souls!

O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to Thee.


No comments:

Post a Comment